Monday, August 6, 2012

Happiness is a Decision

I suppose it's time for a progress report!

When I planned this blog, I planned to write posts as I crossed things off my list, but then I realized that would only give me 29 posts for the whole year and that some of the things on my list aren't just a one-time thing, but more of a new habit I'd like to build. And while I don't feel like I can cross anything off yet, I have definitely been at work!

1. Become Financially Mature: This definitely qualifies as one of the ongoing list items, but I've started. My mother is now in possession of my dreaded credit card and I have put myself on a budget with a weekly cash allowance. It's been 2 weeks now and the credit card remains with my mother and, with the exception of the small loan from my parents to pay my registration (which I would have had enough for had it not been for the fact that I didn't receive all the income I was expecting this month), I have been able to stick to it. Incidentally I am going to be a LOT more discriminant about who I lend money to from now on.

6. See Every Movie I Want to See in Theatres: I saw 'Brave' today with my friend and her two amazing kids. I loved it, and, as usual, cried at the end. The kids had a tougher time. It was a bit scary for one of them and a bit too involved for the other, but I'm glad we saw it. 'Spiderman' is the only movie currently playing that I'd like to see (and haven't already), and I think that will be my solo movie later this week.

21. Help Mom and Dad Clean Out the Basement: This has been the one I've been spending the most time on. It'll get it's own posting very soon, but the difference is unbelievable. Several trips to the dump have been made (including one to get rid of a very old and extremely heavy pull-out couch), a car load of things has been donated and almost everything else has been organized into piles to keep, give away and sell. I guarantee no one has ever seen so many boxes of dolls!!

26. Dance More: Unofficially of course. I haven't been out and about to dance, but I HAVE discovered that the little boy I work with in the afternoons thinks it is absolutely hilarious when I dance, so I indulge him when I can. Brings a smile to my own face to hear his belly-laugh.


28. Drink More Water: Baby steps with this one. Two days last week I brought a big bottle of water to work (24oz) and I managed to drink the whole thing both days. And I'm trying to drink more water at home too, although I recently discovered some pop in the outside fridge and have been drinking that a bit more than I should.


So there we have it! My progress so far. It's hard to believe the difference I feel in the last month. Nothing substantial has changed. I still live with my parents. I still have a bubble of debt hanging over my head. I'm still single. But I've also realized that despite these things, I have a lot to be happy about. I have a job that is incredibly rewarding. I have amazing parents who welcomed me home and are supporting me (emotionally; I do pay rent, albeit reduced) through this transition period. I have so many friends and such great family who are always there for me, to make me laugh, to comfort me when I cry and to remind me about all the good things in life. I'm healthy, I can drive, it's Summer and the sun is shining.


I was tired of the darkness and despair...

No comments:

Post a Comment